Thursday, April 12, 2007

In My Neighborhood...

Spent the morning following up the somewhat awkward task of collecting donated items for the Del Grande Memorial Benefit...some folks are just incredibly generous & endearing, offering gift certificates or goods right there on the spot...other inquiries are met (understandably) with, "We just get so many requests, we have to draw the line somewhere." OK, like here? Well, it doesn't hurt to ask. Rewarded myself & my son with fresh (hot!) soft pretzels from the West Chester Soft Pretzel Factory (not only did they donate an awesome prize no questions asked, they also expressed interest in purchasing tickets for the event). I've never been a part of something like this and it seems like some people are so giving and helpful while others are just desensitized or uninterested. I know there are countless causes and organizations out there, and some business owners did in fact deny our requests with sensitivity and kindness. Sadly, some wouldn't even make eye contact. Stephen's widow, Heather, was the first neighbor to introduce herself and reach out to my family when we moved here...Her boys gave my son his first bike (old-school red tricycle, an awesome hand-me-down) and their dad, Steve, made my then-shy kid laugh on his first real Halloween trick-or-treat outing. When he passed away suddenly & unexpectedly, it hit hard because they are a family not unlike my own...young, active, fun... I guess that's why I felt the need to be a part of this: Stephen Del Grande Memorial Benefit American Helicopter Museum West Chester, PA Saturday April 28 7pm-Midnight $30 per person (includes food catered by Carraba's and beer & wine) Live Music by The New Kings Of Rhythm DJ, Silent Auction, Raffles This promises to be a fun night for a great cause...all proceeds benefit the Del Grande Children Memorial Fund

No comments: