Monday, April 9, 2007

Sugar Crash

Upon waking up, I really wanted a bowl of Maggie Moo Cinnamoo Bun ice cream (how did that get in my freezer anyway?) instead of cereal... but, I'm registered for this duathlon at Hibernia Sunday... another event that I have yet to try. I just don't want to embarrass myself (again). I can still feel a little bit of the sting from Strasburg (yeah, I thought I was over it, too). The last time I rode my bike at Hibernia, I was 5 months pregnant. I just remember little bits of singletrack, lots of gravel roads and some short, steep hills...and I remember the beep-beep of the heart rate monitor, reminding me to chill out, think of that little baby growing & thriving inside me. Needless to say, the days of the heart rate monitor are over over over. After my third lap in the woods this morning, I started wondering about my running "technique" (or lack thereof)...I started wondering about my stride and what do I do with my feet on the downhills? Wendy advised me to "feel the burn on the hills"...no problem, I like running uphill, but I feel goofy when the terrain levels out or when I start to descend. Why have I been running anyway? How did this even begin? I guess back in the fall, I dabbled in a little trail running per Dr. Pain to set me up for cross...I guess I was surprised that I could go, go, go and not have to walk or slow down, so that made it kind of fun. I'd rather be on my bike, but it definitely feels good to work other parts of me, and to see things from a different point of view. Any time spent sweating outside, especially in the woods, is a bonus these days.

No comments: