Saturday, June 2, 2007

Danville Tour De Tykes

My legs are in bad shape following yesterday's race... scrapes, bruises, and even a little Poison Ivy. My legs must be stronger following yesterday's race...that was some outrageous climbing! The start nearly had me in tears...I was out front for maybe 2/3 of the road climb, then...how could I already be bonking? Up, up, up the road we climbed. Save the little ring til we hit the steep gravel...why am I getting passed already? Shift. Oops...that was my big ring...that's why I'm blowing up. Ugh...ok, get my head together...go. I was dreading the first mile of singletrack...last year, I found the switchy, (wet) rooty trails puzzling & intimidating. I remember jamming up several girls and getting passed, never to catch up again. This year, conditions were on my side & I was able to focus and push hard. As we hit the woods, I was the third woman back (second in my age group) and I would stay there til the bitter end. Managed to claw my way up to Lindsay (first place) and hang onto her wheel for several miles, but when we hit the long, technical descent she gapped me and I lost sight of her for good. Recovery was limited to a few fast flats...the climbs were endless (though, thankfully rideable) and the downhills were challenging. Blistering heat definitely factored into many people's races yesterday...I passed guys I couldn't catch up to on my best day. My dad was fighting hard to hold onto 2nd place and he took a wrong turn before the last Sport/Expert split...with only a quarter mile to go, he lost several places....needless to say, it was a long drive home. Last night, the rest of the Aaron's squad arrived...I broke down and indulged in a Maggie Moos's Mint/Oreo ice cream sandwich. With all these skinny asses around lately, I've been reluctant to eat any junk. Last night, I earned it...

2 comments:

Frank Brigandi said...

great Job, I can imagine how dismayed your pop was/is after putting forth a good ride y'know?
time for some longer road rides. or 2 a days... morning easy to mid pace, afternoon/early evening hard grinds.... good for the liver and kidneys, also brain function.
You may temporarily go through a hard plateau or may have alreadyy, that is mostly toxins that build up in your fat cells, which without burning them off they'll inhibit how your body process fat and glucose for fuel.. kiind of like having water of crud in the gas tank, sometimes you have to run it dry to burn out all of the garbage that is polluting the fuel....
1 or 2 really long hard rides will do that. then you will experience a rapid upward trend in your riding, especially motor function, ie brain working with muscles... makes for faster descending and single track bike handling....
I know you get lots if advice and I am not preaching, at least I don't want to come across that way.. haha, I just like sharing ideas and experience.....

David said...

Nice write up.
Ride a single speed. You won't have to worry about being in the wrong ring!