Sunday, June 17, 2007

Neshaminy

Sexy! My future coworker (hee hee...more on that later), Evan (our trusty Wrench)
Neshaminy (presented by efficient as hell & well-organized Guy's Racing)...
Lap One:
Holy Shit, Holy Shit, Holy Shit...that's me, Kimmy Kim, leading the women's field around the prologue.
Hey, that's me...first one to duck into the woods...
And that's me, first chick down the Chute (gasping, "Holy shit!! Oh man!" the whole way down)...I don't ride those kind of downhills...but, I'm in front...Still!! Stay cool, sip sip...
Lindsay catches me (of course), but Nikki is still back (what?!)...
Here comes Nikki ("Come on Kim, let's go!")...I grab her wheel. At the bottom of the little creek, I feel someone breathing down my neck...No! Up a little rise, don't look back...
Pass Nikki in the twisty-turny rooty log-after-log section (yes, passed Nikki).
Approaching lap/finish area, see my dad with Rick B on the sidelines??? "What happened? Are you OK??" He nods, he looks fine...F***. Gun it for dad!
Lap One, Done.
Lap Two:
Back into the woods...hold steady. Take the turns with more power, trust the Kendas (they are magic on the squirrely roots & mud)...2nd! Feeling good, blast down a gel, sip sip...gettin hot.
CRASH!! (Oops)...thanks, Cycle Works Masters Guy for kindly heaving bike off me...He checks the brakes, I check the gears (and my throbbing head). Helmet, check! Shake it off, clear the cobwebs...Go! Note to self, lap 3 dismount for that up-&-over, avoid another endo/crash (because I will make it to lap 3).
Trepidation creeps in, slowing down, heating up (sip, sip)...Nikki catches me and we work together a bit...she drops me (but, not without words of encouragement). Now I am in 3rd and I am hurting, but I will not give up 3rd...
With a quarter lap to go, I find myself in my little ring on the last climb...cramps. No!
Lap Two, done!
Lap 3 (final lap):
Around the prologue once more, now the Experts are staging...
No, they're STARTING!
Freight train chugga-chugga-chugga...Are you serious? Approaching the woods in a pack of really fast, really fierce guys, I pull aside & graciously let them by.
Into the woods I go, and soon enough...Freight Train...damn! Again, pull aside...
Wait, I'm hanging onto 3rd for dear life, I have no idea what kind of gap I have, and my head is throbbing...Ride, go...Here they come..."On your left, On your right, Experts coming through..." Jesus...trying to eek out a crappy line on the right, I'm pushed off my bike. Again, I wait & let them pass.
F*** it, they're Experts, they'll work around me!! (No disrespect, but I'm racing, too)...Go, Kimmy...
Triple X (Caution!) Descent and yet another pack is hot on my heels...I dismount & hop down the nasty downhill for the last time (I still can't believe I rode it twice...so not my thing)!
Through the cool rocky off-camber, the Expert Women start to filter in...Hey, here comes Wendy (her first expert race)! Damn, she has ride this 4 times...OK, get my act together, keep a cool head...Go, go, go! Now I am cramping in muscles that I didn't know would cramp, but I power up the last climbs, put a few guys between me and whoever is back there (I know she's back there!)...last time onto the grass, charge it to the finish. 3rd, indeed!
Woozy, my dad hands me a bag of ice for my head & Jay from Guy's hands me a colds bottle of water (ahhh...plain water). I collapse on the grass, dizzy, yet somehow exhilarated.
Salt-crusted, beat-up...too fried to even hear Rico calling my name for the podium (I have to admit, I am a nerd & really would prefer a medal instead of a visit to the prize table...unless there is a gift certificate for a day at the Spa on the Prize Table). Too nauseous to enjoy a tempting beer at the super-friendly Biketopia Tent (finally had the pleasure to meet the Caveman himself in the flesh).
As for my dad...
He simply didn't have his race legs (so unlike him to DNF...he bailed during lap 1)...that's what 45 days of amoxicillin, an infected wisdom tooth (and ensuing extraction 11 days ago) will do to you. So, instead he spent Father's Day cheering on his daughter.
Post-race, enjoyed dinner with my family...my mom gave my dad a bottle of Limoncello for Father's day, but my stomach was too tweaked to indulge. All I want is a soak in the tub, a good stretch, and a big cup of (decaf) mint tea.
Happy Father's Day! (Jeff...you are an awesome daddy)

3 comments:

Frank Brigandi said...

the pleasure was all here,
I got a bottle of homemeade limoncello for you to share with your pop, it should be ready about mid July.
Your booboo looks like Kanji..
second lap you looked quite the feirce, hammering like hell on wheels.
Thanks for the kinds words....

Suki said...

3rd, eh?

not too shabby.

I would've liked to see a much bloodier wound, though...

*knocks on wood knowing I just now cursed myself into a nasty fall a la "much bloodier wound" style*

JenBob said...

Good job Kim. Kicking ass is fun isn't it?