Friday, July 6, 2007

Bittersweet

Ended a friendship...It's not something I take lightly, as we've known each other since seventh grade. I don't have many "old friends"...so while it is sometimes comforting to have a tie to "back then," I would rather enjoy the "good old now." This friend has a burgeoning bad habit that I want no part of...Seems my concerns and pleas have fallen on deaf ears. It's not about me being "Holier than thou..." because it goes deeper than that. It's about this: -I have a child & a family...I can't tolerate the bullshit that goes hand-in-hand with the bad habit. -I don't want to be a sucker...when this bad habit blows up in her face, I don't want to be the one to pick up the pieces. Again. -I have a child & a family...period. Sadly, this friend is probably in need of some help (or she will be in need of some help if she keeps this up)...I have tried & I am done. Admittedly, I don't exactly have the best luck when it comes to (female) friendships...and that is all I can attribute it to. Luck. I have had better luck with the friendships I have made since becoming a mom. I have had better luck still with the friendships I have made since getting a bike... I did the right thing... Some choices are unquestionable now that I am a parent. Some things can no longer be compromised, some boundaries are more clearly drawn...not that I'm dismissing my character before I had my son...I just don't waver where I may have before. Perspective, I suppose. Thanks, Kid.

1 comment:

Suki said...

yup. having a kid changes everything.

now you can only watch the naughty movies at night.