Sunday, October 7, 2007

Whirly Bird Cross Bryn Athyn College

I did not love this course. Honestly, I didn't even like it. Rutted, bumpy, flat, bumpy, rutted, rutty, very bumpy...and flat. And rutted. Bumpy, too. Janel had a victorious first cross race ever on a hardtail mountain bike...Oh. "Yeah, when we laid out the course yesterday, I figured I'd be better off on a mountain bike." Well, yeah...obviously. I gave myself a much-needed attitude adjustment before lining up...suck it up, have some fun, suffer hard & make some girls out there suffer harder. Ashamed of my bratty demeanor, I was determined to have a strong (hot) race from start to finish...and smile about it. After the men took off, the official threw his hands up & shrugged, "GO!" Oh, you mean, like, now?! Because all the girls are chatting, unclipped...because, you know, normally we don't go WITH the men. Or normally, we're told, "You'll be starting with the men..." So, the start was lame...Yep, I got the hole shot, which felt pretty hollow because half the women were not even prepared to start.

4 laps (yes, only 4) later, done. Anne Rock handed my ass to me today, graciously nonetheless. Maintaining my position proved challenging today...advancing proved very difficult. Wishing for hills was futile...no hills magically materialized mid-race (although, some weird carpets materialized mid-race covering a stretch of rocks...). The carpets were real...the heat did not, in fact, go to my head.

So, the Perna/Dubeck Squad had a little case of Sucky Attitude-itis...but, we chatted with some friends , had a few laughs, and spent the morning on our bikes...

A good race, in spite of itself.

Now, how about some mud???

3 comments:

chunky monkey said...

Keep your chin up. I had an equally bumpy race yesterday and we only got 3 laps. They pulled the entire women's field at 25min!
The MAC is coming, it will get better.

Frank Brigandi said...

It was freakin hot today eh?.. whew.....yeah, bumpy lumpy for sure agreed....My neck hurts from punching myself in the face every time I tried to wipe the dry crusted dirt from my lips, that was special.....nothing a beer wouldn't fix at home though....
I'm nnot into mountain bikes being used at a cyclocross race, it's pretty lame actually, if you want to race cross, get a cross bike... it's a cheater move to use amountain bike... I'm waiting for a jackass to show up on a fs 29er with drops....
I heard your gruops start was ill-timed, no one was ready for it.. funny...Your Owl is rad....
You don;t need an attituide adjustment, you need limoncello....

Anthony S. said...

I was at the WirlyBird 'Cross with my son taking pictures (I was the big fat guy with the big camera ;-) ). Maybe I got some good shots of you? Check out my site, I uploaded several hundred there. http://www.cyclingcaptured.com/