Friday, October 17, 2008

the phantom menace

So, I'm in the big empty bedroom, searching for the Stick because I want to "stick" my legs... I've torn through a bin of odd socks & single armwarmers, ugly jerseys... There are boxes of photos, books... No stick. Wrapping paper... Shrunken sweater... No stick. WTF? How does one lose the Stick?? RRRRR... What's that sound? My kid calling me from upstairs?? "Mommmm..." Nope, he is at his dad's. All week, I am his mortal enemy...he only wants Daddy... Picking pumpkins today was like pulling teeth (only, more...difficult). My happy-go-lucky, cheerful, inquisitive little Guy has become a sullen, testy, petulant smartass in the span of a week...all because we don't all live together anymore. (of course he is sullen and testy and petulant and bratty and...challenging). I want him to be willful and hardheaded (most of the time)... this part will get better...he probably misses me when he is at his dad's, right?? Where is my Stick? Ugly straw bag (freebie with make-up? Gift?)... Ooooh, there's my stripey belt! No stick. I hear it again...all week, I've been imploring him not to whine, assuring him that I know it's hard, it's okay that he misses his dad...sure, you can cry... So, I am hearing things and missing my Stick. (and I miss my kid...he's not the menace)

2 comments:

Suki said...

like I was saying yesterday...children are born manipulators. if they weren't...they'd never make it out of infancy (who would WILLINGLY wake up every hour to nurse?).

he's hurt, upset, most likely tired out of his skull...

and definitely playing you like a fiddle (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

be loving, be patient, be kind...and then be firm when you've had enough. it'll help you both in the long run...

as will a large glass of red wine every night half an hour before trying to wrestle him into bed.

Lizzy said...

I got the magic stick, I know if I can hit once, I can hit twice....