Sunday, February 8, 2009

Something Else

I didn't think I was actually going to climb...
I thought I was going for a hike...I thought my dad needed a belay partner...I wanted to get out and see something new, spend some time with BP.
I did something new...I have never even seen anyone climb ice...I've seen countless pictures, but I didn't know anything about the technique. I didn't know that you have an ice axe in each hand and that you pull yourself up with your tools, digging your feet into the ice with your crampons along the way...
I didn't know I could climb up a vertical slab of ice.
I wasn't scared or worried about the ice or falling or getting hurt or not being strong enough...
I wasn't anxious or even nervous...seems I am most at ease when I am pushing myself somehow.
I just paid attention, listened closely to some one who has been doing this for a looooong time...
I tried & it sort of clicked...
Initially, the tools felt kind of awkward (it's not like I swing a hammer every day), but I just kept moving until I got to the top.
I reached the top...
Sometimes the ice would make a strange, unyielding sound...and I would pause and just kind of marvel at the frozen waterfall right in front of my face.
Not surprisingly, my dad made it look easy...
I can't wait to do it again.

2 comments:

airing out said...

Yikes! Don't let the axe hit the rope!!!!!!!!!

Ice climbing scares the piss out of me. So many of my friends love it though. Glad you had fun. The relationship you have with your dad is awesome. You are very lucky.

Suki said...

lucky!!!!