Monday, April 20, 2009

Blue Marsh

So, we are plunging down a steep, windy descent, maybe 15 miles into our ride....wooooo-hooooo...we pause at the bottom as a pack of six or seven Mennonite girls come charging down the trail opposite us. They are wearing their modest cotton dresses...no gloves, no helmets, no joke...bikes heavy as tanks with full-size bottles of Gatorade and backpacks (like good old Jansport book bag backpacks)... They warn me & BP of the hill ahead (the one they just came positively barreling down, flat pedals and all...) After exchanging pleasantries, they motor along, out of sight in no time...motoring. Suddenly, I don't feel much like a badass at all. What a fantastic, blistering ride...I forgot what it feels like to be in the saddle that long...forgot what it feels like to nearly get lost at the tail-end of a 30 mile ride...perfect pace, excellent company, beautiful scenery. Those climbs, though...man, they are few, but they are staggering. What fun!

1 comment:

Suki said...

Oh how I love me the blue marsh loop. besides having sissy baby bail outs (which I opt for...often...), its about 4 minutes from my house.

don't you DARE ride it again without giving a bitch a call, capishe?

(not that I would ride it HAHAHAHAH no, no, no...I wouldn't meet you to ride...but there would be some gluten free cookie dough involved, I'm sure)