Monday, May 4, 2009

"Ride the logs! Watch the bridge...let it roll..."

How does one even begin to describe the conditions at Granogue yesterday? Let's just say beyond muddy and leave it at that... and I wasn't even racing. For four solid hours, I stood in the belly of Deputy's Woods under a constant dose of pouring rain...as a course marshal, I tried my best to offer words of genuine encouragement and motivation. (tried.) What does one say as people are stopping to scoop handfuls of mud from their fork crowns and derailleurs? Surprisingly, most of the drenched & muddy souls out there maintained a sense of humor about the "shit show" (as more than a few lovingly referred to the day). Honestly, I was happy to be a part of the experience, in whatever capacity...it is Granogue, after all. Until I was relieved at my post, I was fine. Upon reaching my car & blasting on the heat, I sort of crumbled a little bit. Something about the weather and the gray skies and the week I left behind...I don't know what it was, but I had a hard time warming up. I had a hard time looking anyone in the eye or smiling, so I just left... lame. Really, I'd just like to see some sunshine.

2 comments:

robert said...

Thanks for the hard work yesterday! Seriously know how much it work it is just to stand in those conditions.

Thanks again for making my job easy!

Suki said...

I'm totally with ya. several days of rain and I'm ready to call it quits.