Sunday, December 13, 2009

...09 end in Bend

Wednesday: arrived
Thursday: raced/crashed/ran/rode/finished...soaked in hottest bath ever, fought back tears about a non-championship race gone sour, teamed up with Amy to cook dinner for our teammates, slept by the fire, dreamed about the beach.
Friday: Watched Sam take 5th in an exciting race...damn, that kid is smooth. Froze mentally on my own pre-ride, stopped short at the top of the run-up, where I told Kelly, "Not feeling it. I don't think I can race this." We chatted & he said, "I know you'll make the right decision."
After another glorious last-row call-up, my frozen nerves & anxiety immediately thawed when we hit the course.
I rode clean, I stayed focused, and I had one of my best rides ever...I finished with a huge grin on my face, wobbly from the effort and relieved to wrap up my season on a truly high note.
Sadly, moments later, I learned Amy had been seriously injured in her race (we were on course together) and we were soon our way to the ER.
Conditions were treacherous and Amy has definitely had more than her share of bad luck...it didn't take long to find out her ankle was indeed broken (eerily similar to the break she suffered just over a year ago on the other ankle).
Please,
send her well-wishes, let her know you are thinking of her...she's going to need it.
That night, Sam's dad treated us to a great meal at one of the many local breweries, where we were also celebrating LVG's birthday and DeeDee & Sam's podiums earlier that day.
Wes had also arrived, rounding out the ten C3's representing at Nationals (Kris, Laura, DeeDee, Amy, Wes, Gunnar, Sam, Bill, Harlow, and myself). Miles and miles from home, it was amazing to see how well the team works to support one another...on the race course, in the pits, cheering from the sidelines, building/packing bikes, picking up prescriptions for (rrrrrr!) broken bones, waiting for medical attention, cooking dinner, doing laundry...all these tasks, menial, important, and everything in between...everybody pitches in, and then some...I am constantly impressed and truly grateful to be a part of it.
that brings me to Saturday:
5am found me sitting on my bag of gear at Redmond Airport, ready to board my 4th plane since Wednesday.
I missed my son greatly, was thinking of Christmas and weekends spent sleeping in and imagining my cross bike packed in the box, likely til 2010...
2009 has been an amazing season; tough, competitive, and entirely unpredictable.
20 races (0 DNFs)
1 series overall win (PA)
3rd in the MAC (B Women)
7 States raced in (PA, NJ, NY, DE, MD, VA, OR)
1 MAC team championship win (that I was proud to contribute to, however small my own contribution may have been)
Oh (!)
And,
I've overcome my fear of flying.

1 comment:

Jim said...

>>And,I've overcome my fear of flying.

Your new superhero name is Unintentional Metaphor Girl.

Well done!