Wednesday, December 22, 2010

"making christmas, making christmas..."

Our tree is out of control.
I love it.
Alone in the house tonight, I wrapped presents & wrote some quick notes to friends...
I dreamed up New Years Eve cocktails & pondered jeans or party dress.
Party dress for sure.
I listened to the Nutcracker and drank jasmine tea.
Yesterday, I worked back at the old office (the one I left for the bike shop endeavor)...without getting all "full circle" or "the grass isn't always greener," I will say I have never been so grateful to have a pleasant & energetic work environment.
I was met with such a sincerely warm reception upon my return that I sailed through the day taking so much pride in every little procedure I completed...
To say I'm thankful to have my job back is an understatement.
When I left nine months ago, my personal life was such sh*t...it was hard for me to find joy in pretty much anything for a while, let alone have any kind of passion or vigor for being an orthodontic assistant.
Presented with the chance to help grow an independent bike shop in my own little town from the ground up gave me something to be excited about...it shook me out of my rut, but ultimately fell flat.
Once all the (gallons & gallons) orange paint dried & the fixtures were built & the shiny bikes assembled, I realized retail (and lots of completely ridiculous drama) is not for me.
I also realized I was spending way more time selling (or not selling, as it were, in this economy) bikes than riding them.
Sure, rolling into work at ten AM was pretty sweet, but coming home after dark and trying to sit down for a real family dinner was more than trying.
And tiring.
My rides were whittled down to the occasional 14 mile roundtrip commute & a solid Wednesday ride. Saturdays were spent working and Sunday found me feeling obligated to get on my bike when all I really wanted to do was veg.
Needless to say, my cross season was a joke and my Cat 2 upgrade was a huge waste of money & aggravation.
The rut I was in nine months ago was nothing compared to the disdain & regret that I was feeling about my so-called bold new LBS endeavor.
Ugh.
After polishing my resume & searching for options, I landed a job at an orthodontic practice.
There were red flags immediately.
It was a bad fit in soooo many ways.
Trying to make the best of it, trying to find a silver lining, trying madly not to kick myself for leaving a pretty sweet gig in the first place, I slogged along...
In four short weeks, I gained the confidence of my superiors & coworkers...I was given more independence & tricky procedures.
Except, I hated it.
Hated hated.
Monday found me answering a completely unexpected voicemail.
Tuesday I was back in the fold, back where I had been wishing, seriously wishing, I could be.
Being an orthodontic assistant is weird.
It started out as a whim, as a means to an end, as an escape hatch, as a backup plan, as a way to not be employed forever as Miss Kim, underpaid preschool teacher...
The thing is, I had no idea how much I like teeth & stainless steel wires & shiny little brackets & glass ionomers & acidic solutions & pliers & gauze squares & scalers...
It's a very cool job...plus, I get to be a part of a team that's responsible for giving people healthy, great smiles.
That does sound corny, but it's so true...I get a kick out of that.
So, yeah,
that's my full-circle story...
That's the scoop and it's a pretty fantastic Christmas present.
(plus, I am on vacation for the entire next week...I get to be home with my family during these holidays)
I am just brimming with happiness at the moment.
So not where I was nine months ago, or this time last year.
thanks for reading &
Merry Christmas...

3 comments:

JenBob said...

"lots of completely ridiculous drama"

whatever do you mean?

:-)

Lindsay said...

I'm really glad to hear you're happy. Merry Christmas!

megA said...

awesome kim! although your underpaid high school teacher internet friend is jealous. . .

happy new year!

xo
m