Sunday, November 6, 2011

again

I didn't race this weekend.
I spent Friday night in the ER with a migraine that started on my bike.
In the woods.
Alone.
The progression of nuisance headache to full-bore migraine only took a matter of minutes and appeared without any of the typical warning signs.
The climb back up to the grassy field had to be the most feeble and desperate I have ever felt on my bike.
It was so bad I don't remember navigating my way back to the lot and I could barely speak when I called my mom for help.
I could not see clearly, let alone drive a car.
In all my years of riding, I've never had to call my mom to come pick me up.
That's the last time I venture out on a solo ride to shake off a "headache."

If this is getting old to you, imagine how frustrated I feel.


I learned two things in the ER:
Migraines can be induced with strenuous exercise (ie mountain biking).
Atheletes have "valve-y veins" (I still think it's kinda funny whenever I am referred to as an athlete...although, nothing was funny Friday night).

No comments: