Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Kutztown Cross


With the elusive front row start finally mine, I didn't turn around to see who was lined up behind me.
When the whistle blew, I just went and I went hard...
Holeshot. For realz?
I was passed by Diane and another woman, but promptly caught them and led the remainder of the first lap.
I was leading, guys...for a little bit, but still...it was awesome, I'm just saying.
Diane caught me again and stayed ahead steadily increasing the gap between us for six more laps.
I fought hard to get closer to her, but fought even harder to stay ahead of 3rd and 4th place.
The tape was dizzying...so. many. twisty. turns.
My favorite part of the course was the Vortex...zigging and zagging, it sucked you in and spit you back out in the middle of Crystal Cave...(okay, it spit you back out on a straightaway with a set of perfectly approachable barriers, but whatever...)

For once, I was completely and utterly focused and simply racing my bike.
For once, there wasn't a loop of nerves working my head and holding me back...
"Um, Kim, that's how it's supposed to be."

Diane Grim is the best competitor ever.
(I'm going to shamelessly gush about how much I love Diane Grim for a second, okay?)
Listen...
She runs around Blue Marsh Lake for fun...like the whole way around the lake.
And when she's not running marathons or 50Ks in the woods, she's slaying the trails on her cross bike.
Or crushing a cross race.
Or creating the most kickass parfaits you will ever eat.
Or calling me and leaving the most enthusiastic voicemail ever.
Plus, she calls me Kiddo and she's not a whole lot older than me...I mean, we both have ex-husbands, she calls me Kiddo.
Yes...definitely one of my favorite people that I have met through our amazing cycling community.
Not only did she pass me like a ninja at Kutztown, but gave me a huge hug when I crossed the line in second place.
We've been racing together for a long time and it is always always a treat to line up and do battle with Diane Grim.

me, Diane, Jennifer
Kutztown Cross was tons of fun.

No comments: