Wednesday, February 8, 2012

play

Alone:
I'm about to start putting dinner together and my son is in his playroom.
I hear the dialogue, I hear his voice change for the characters involved in this elaborate scheme.
"Sorry, Master Yoda, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings..." followed by his best Yoda voice, "Master Yoda drives a hard bargain..."
Blasters, vehicles, more dialogue, more sound effects...the sound effects are ridiculous.
I  hear an entire battle unfolding and I know it won't be long before he is wary of  playing out loud...
I love listening to these battles and stories and conversations between characters/Jedi knights/super heroes/mythical creatures/wild animals...
I love the mash-ups between Star Wars and Harry Potter...the imagination of a seven year-old boy is pretty great.

When I was seven, Barbies were my thing...(I know, I don't even really like pink anymore...).
I made houses with storybooks for walls and folded up sweat shirts as beds and sofas...story lines were usually the melodramatic variety.
It wasn't unusual for tornadoes, volcanoes, hurricanes, and earthquakes to plague my poor Barbie dolls and their painstakingly constructed homes (apparently I also had a thing for natural disasters).
Occasionally, there would be a tragic drowning in the Dream Pool or Skipper would run away from home.
I was more interested in Barbie & family building a bunker or seeking dry land than marrying Ken or opening a hair salon.
Hearing my son in the other room brings me back to those hours and hours and hours spent crafting those far fetched and fantastic little stories.
I wonder how many conversations between Barbie and Skipper and Ken and their many cousins/friends/rivals my parents observed.

Together:
I'm home after eight hours of wires and hygiene instructions and small talk and sharp instruments and teeth teeth teeth.
My coat is still on and I haven't even put my keys down.
"Mom, hi! Wanna play with me? Let's play..." Urgent and energetic...an enthusiastic hug and one more plea, "Come on, let's play!"
I know these days are numbered...
Before I know it, I'll come in and have time to actually hang up my coat and place my keys on the counter.

I have learned, "Wanna play with me?," is actually, "Mom, just hang out with me and keep me company...it doesn't matter if you suck at Legos or get the voices wrong for Transformers or don't know the difference between all the DC and Marvel super heroes...just hang out with me..."

And that is one of the reasons why our laundry piles are out of control and there are dishes in the sink.
The laundry sure isn't growing up too fast and the dishes won't be too cool to spend time with me in a few short years...that's for sure. 





I love hearing my kid involved in his own little world, but I also love that he still needs my attention & wants me around.

3 comments:

The Bikinator said...

It's so good that you recognize these truths and try your best to act on them. So many parents don't...

lindsey said...

So I have a list of quotes that I save, and this just made it, "The laundry sure isn't growing up too fast and the dishes won't be too cool to spend time with me in a few short years that's for sure."

Kim said...

thanks for the kind words, ladies! Lindsey, that made my day!