Wednesday, April 18, 2012

live music

brother (orange) and sister (pewter) at a show
I love hearing live music and it doesn't happen nearly often enough.
Last night, my dad took me and my brother to see Buddy Guy at the Grand in Wilmington...
We had great seats, the sound was amazing, and at age 75, Buddy Guy still doesn't disappoint.
It's kind of his signature move to wade through the audience through the far reaches of the venue while wailing on his guitar and it still gives me chills to be close to a blues legend.
I've seen Buddy Guy three times over the past ten years and if it's possible, his vocals seem to get better with age.
My dad has been taking us to concerts since we were little kids, younger than my own son, and here are some of shows the three of us have seen together:
  • Cyndi Lauper (at a shady bar, no less...my brother was eight and left flowers for Cyndi on her tour bus)
  • Eddy Grant (more than just "Electric Avenue"...he's the first musician I saw play his guitar with his teeth) As a kid, his stage presence blew my mind
  • UB40
  • Beastie Boys and Run DMC (Tougher than Leather tour, at the Spectrum)...we had to leave during the Beastie Boys because sh*t was getting outta hand (we were kids)  
  • red hot chili peppers
  • Junior Wells (x2)
  • Buddy Guy (x3)
  • David Byrne
  • Jimmie Vaughn
  • the Wailers
  • the Cure (sigh...my crush on Robert Smith was brutally cringe-worthy)
My brother is a musician...he plays guitar and I've always been stupid-envious of his talent. He makes it look so easy, but I think that's because he is truly a natural. Our dad didn't mess around when it came to introducing us to good music.
And for the record, I never skip over Buddy Guy when he comes up on my shuffle (it's all his Chess-era stuff and collaborations with Junior Wells...great, great stuff).

No comments: