Sunday, June 17, 2012

riding for two...Nockamixon at eleven weeks, 4 days

Eleven weeks pregnant means the nausea is subsiding, the belly is growing, and fatigue is still very much present.
On the bike, I am still relatively comfortable, but markedly slower...I simply can't crash or fall at high speeds, no exception.
Nockamixon proved to be a pretty solid choice for a morning on the mountain bike...
Not too technical, not much (any?) elevation, yet fun, twisty trails.
Perfect for the expecting rider.

Initially, I was frustrated about being unable to keep up with my dad and Bill, but that only lasted until I reminded myself that I am building a human.
I am lucky to be on my bike enjoying the woods...at my new found slower pace, I am more aware of the landscape and changing scenery around me.
Although I am not pushing hard, I'm still riding.

These days, I am much more inclined to listen to my body and call it quits if need be. Yesterday, after maybe thirty aggravating minutes on the trails at Marsh Creek, I pulled the plug. Although I wasn't particularly sore following the five mile run, the seemingly innocuous effort caught up with me and said,
"Nope...you are done. Rest."
The three hour nap that ensued left no doubt in my mind that this nearly-lime-sized being inhabiting my uterus is indeed the boss of me.
(for now)

No comments: