Saturday, August 4, 2012

bitches (Moms, you should know better...)

I went to target & exchanged my Centrum prenatal vitamins for Nature Made...
Why?
The Centrum vitamins upset my stomach, but I think it was the lingering doubt/guilt that was plaguing me (thus causing my upset stomach) after a conversation with a pregnant friend about our vitamins.
About my inferior vitamins.
The judgement moms and moms-to-be pass on one another is ridiculous and kind of sickening (and I'll be the first to admit, I've been one of those bitches rolling my eyes or sneering that I am doing a much better job at taking care of my kid/taking care of myself...).

My son is seven now.
I am amazed at how independent he is...I am actually bewildered sometimes at the things he can accomplish all. by. himself.
Simple things like shoe-tying...not-so-simple things like swimming in the deep end, confidently ordering dinner at a restaurant with excellent manners, or navigating another child's bad mood with genuine empathy.
Do you know how awesome it is after a long, tiring (brutally hot, lately) day to send your kid upstairs to get ready for bed completely and totally on their own?
To be able to finally sit on your ass while you trust your kid to perform tasks such as showering, brushing their teeth, putting pajamas on, and turning off the lights before coming back downstairs?
It's a big deal when your kid can safely turn the water on the correct temperature, shower unsupervised  without assistance and actually end up clean.
Seriously.
Where was I going with this?
Oh.
Bitches.
I would like to think my kid is well-adjusted/polite/pleasant/independent/awesome because of the fantastic job i've been doing as his mom.
That's kind of naive, though...
I can claim credit for some of that, but I also believe it's partly luck of the draw.
It's luck and circumstance and a whole host of influences much bigger than me...
It's hard work and determination and steadfastness and consistency and the tireless support of family and friends...

It's why I try not to be so snarky or judgemental about other moms (and moms-to-be).
It's why I try not to make a face when other women talk about their birth plan or what kind of high chair they use or whether they use cloth or disposable diapers or whether they feed their baby formula or breast milk (that's a touchy one...jesus christ)...
It's why I am defensive about some of the choices I make (like continuing to mountain bike nearly half-way through my pregnancy or foregoing genetic testing to learn whether our baby has certain birth defects).
I'd like to see a little less criticism and judgement and a little more encouragement and support.

All this because of some vitamins I picked up at Target.
(and the deluge of hormones, no doubt)

my firstborn 2004

my firstborn (now)

No comments: