Tuesday, January 15, 2013

rough night

We've been blessed with fairly easy nights since bringing our baby girl home...
I expected extreme sleep deprivation, dark circles under my our eyes for the next eight or so years, and a general existence not unlike bootcamp.
The reality has been quite the contrary, much to my surprise.
Our sleep is briefly interrupted a few times a night for quick feedings, then the little one goes back down without any drama or nonsense.
{sigh}

Tonight was another beast altogether...(the beast meaning the night itself, not the baby)
Baby was clearly uncomfortable after her early evening bottle and fussed quite intensely for the next five hours.
After ruling out all the obvious stressors, I ended up holding/swaddling/rocking/cuddling her until we were both sufficiently worn out.
Now she is sound asleep and I am too keyed up, jaw clenched, to go to bed.

Add to this an eight year-old who may be teetering on the edge of a stomach bug (please don't be the flu please don't be the flu please don't be the flu)...and I'm feeling just a tiny bit overcooked.

But.

That's okay.
Because all I have to do right now is take care of my kids.
I'll nap when the baby naps tomorrow.
Laundry can wait and she won't be small enough to snuggle into the crook of my arm for long...






2 comments:

Lauren said...

I have an 11 week old and he's been the same way for about a week now. I'm still working on the nap when he naps deal...I usually find myself running around the house trying to get a few things done OR hopping on my bike trainer for a quick ride. Bonus points if I can do both!

Kim said...

Yesterday I actually napped when she napped, but usually I run around the house and frantically fold laundry/clean bottles/prep dinner/or admittedly veg & read blogs...
I am going to unearth my trainer from the basement and hopefully start pedaling this weekend :)