Saturday, January 19, 2013

rough night(s)

I need to stop taking it so personally when she's having a rough night...
when the baby is uncomfortable or just can't settle down or wants to party all night long...
I have to remind myself she's still brand new.
As soon as we find a rhythm, something changes.
Whatever works for one night may completely throw off the next.

Oh, yeah...I remember how this goes...

I also have to remind myself that I did this once before...
and even back then, when a brand new baby boy magnified my insecurities and anxieties by a zillion, I still did pretty well.
(and so did he)
Even when you think you don't know what the hell you are doing...something kicks in, you figure it out.
Little by little, you figure it out.  
As long as the baby is loved and fed, everything else is a bonus.
Including sleep.
brother & sister




2 comments:

Jill said...

Your blog posts of late have all been so beautiful. Your family is so blessed to have you as their mother, daughter, wife--your strength and endurance as a cyclist clearly comes through in the other arenas of your life as well--or maybe the other way around--or maybe a lovely combination of both. Blessings to you!

Kim said...

thank you so much for the kind words, Jill...
this comment truly brightened my day!