Friday, May 17, 2013

my aunt

Yesterday we traveled to Wilkes-Barre for my aunt Kathy's funeral.
She died at home in her sleep last week after a ridiculously valiant fight with cancer.
Seriously...
Anyone who knew Kathy would attest to the fact that she never complained or let on just how sick she was.
I've never witnessed somebody struggling in the midst of such an ugly and insidious disease with so much humor, humility, and wit. 
She was my mom's little sister, the mother of two girls, and the grandmother of Lily and Dae.

On a whim, I sent her flowers for her birthday this year (she turned 52 on April 25th).
Thanks to a quick google search, I found a florist near her home and requested a cheerful Springtime bouquet.
In true Kathy fashion, she posted a picture of the arrangement on Facebook and wrote, "Thank you Kim Showers & Family! I couldn't tell you how long it's been since I've received a flower delivery. This is beautiful and I feel so special. Love you all!!"

Say what you will about social media, but I heard from my aunt every day via Facebook.
Through her thoughtful links, inquiries about my kids, and comments on our photos, I felt more connected to her than some family members who I spend time with in real life.
I'll miss her presence during my morning routine of drinking tea and scrolling through my FB feed while the kids are still asleep...
this is the Aunt Kathy I remember as a kid...the cool, smart-ass Aunt...the fun babysitter



Eileen, Mom, Kathy (sisters)


2 comments:

Jill said...

I am so, so sorry for your loss; your aunt was obviously a wonderful woman, and the niece-apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I'm so glad FB kept you connected daily--it's very real blessing to have that capability to connect with loved ones in that fashion (says the girl on a FB break :) --but the positives of social media far, far outweigh the negatives!). A blessing, for certain. Sending your family caring thoughts and sympathies.

Kim said...

Thank you so much for your caring & kind words. Aunts are the best! (your nieces & nephew would concur)