Thursday, June 6, 2013

(amateur) runner

Never mind the fact that I married a bonafide (former) track star/dyed-in-the-wool runner...
I am an amateur.
While I'm sure his knowledge and expertise on all matters related to running would be invaluable to a rookie like me, I'm too mortified to ask.
That's pretty ridiculous.

Although I have finished a handful of 5ks, completed a challenging 5 mile trail run/race while pregnant, and dabbled in a few off-road duathlons, I don't consider myself a "runner" by any stretch of the imagination.
My "gear" {chortles}consists of two terribly unflattering pair of running-specific shorts (there were three, but I finally trashed the ones with the dry-rotted elastic), a pair of worn-out trail shoes, and a few tanks way past their prime...
When the weather is cold, I turn to my cycling attire to cobble together running clothes (don't worry, I haven't worn a chamois for running...I'm not that bad).
Lately, I've made good use of our BOB stroller and have taken to the streets a few times a week in the name of losing the last of the baby weight.  
Running is convenient because I can do it with my baby...no excuses (other than really inclement weather).
Admittedly, I'd much rather ride in pursuit of getting some fitness back, but I'm lucky to get on my bike once or twice a week lately.
So...
That leaves this amateur runner in need of some new running shoes.
I think I know someone who can help me out with that...

As of today, I am back to my  pre-baby weight (yay!)...having said that, I was probably about 8-10 lbs overweight when I got pregnant.
In addition to running, I've started using the My Fitness Pal app to track calories and exercise.
I'm happy to say that all this effort, little by little, is paying off ...

No comments: