Wednesday, September 4, 2013

how we do the Family Vacation

at last, he overcame his fear of the kayak...
channeling my grandpop



sunsets on the lake don't get old (the mosquitoes, however...)

breakfast at Piggy's with requisite photo op...new tradition?


(successful) snake spotting


Max was happy to give my mom a tour of Jim Thorpe


Me time

On short notice, we were able to cobble together a pretty solid family vacation in the Poconos...
Even though we live two doors down from my parents, it was great to spend a week on the lake, under the same roof together.
I hope we've started some new traditions and I hope the family vacation becomes a mainstay of summers to come.
Some of my best memories of being a kid in the summertime are from when I was Max's age...it's been exciting to sit back and watch these experiences take shape for him.
Maybe this is the stuff that will stick with him...
The stuff he'll tell his kids about, the stuff he'll want to recreate for his own family someday.

Fireworks for no reason.
Exploring the woods and climbing tall pine trees.
Finding copperheads and spotting wild turkeys.
Cap guns and candy overload.
Paddling solo in a kayak.
Catching that elusive fish (even if it was already dead...shhhhh).
Mad Magazine before bed instead of chapter books.
Afternoon cartoon marathons.
Riding dirt roads with his grampy.
Dumping out an entire (mini) box of Rice Krispies on his baby sister's tray, just to make her laugh.
Staying up late by the campfire.

I'm pretty sure that's the kind of stuff an 8 year-old remembers...

I hope my parents had as much fun as we did. 


2 comments:

The Bikinator said...

Kim, I almost cried reading this. My memories from childhood vacations are forever cemented in my head. It's so good that you're taking your kids out to experience things together.

I just wanted to say... I always want to comment more, but I can't on my iPhone for some reason. It doesn't let me type in the security code. I wanted to make a point to visit your page with a desktop to comment on this!

Kim said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to share this comment with me...it's really sweet to hear that this post resonated with you. Cheers to childhood vacations!!