Thursday, April 10, 2014

the hay is in the barn ....and my barn has maybe, like, one bale right now

After a winter of lackluster efforts on the bike (like, do two trainer "rides" count? and maybe a few jaunts on the flat path? errrrr...), I'm a little less than excited to wear my lungs on the outside of my body this coming weekend at Singlespeed A Palooza  .
(what does that even mean? I fully expect be puking up various vital organs along the way, maybe I can tuck my lungs into my jersey pockets somewhere along mile thirteen?)
Sadly (okay, laughably), I can literally count on ONE hand how many times I've been on a real bike outdoors since February.
Why I signed up for this race is beyond me (okay, not entirely...I love the trails at Stewart State Forest, I love the opportunity to escape for a night with my husband, I love the idea of a little road trip to NY with our friends and teammates...oh, and there's got to be a first race of the season, so why wait?).
Why not?

So, "why not?" is going to have to suffice and see me through those miles and miles and miles and miles...and then, it's going to have to see me through those further miles and miles and miles when my hips start to ache and I'm cursing myself for being such a baby about riding in the cold this year.
I'm sure for the first forty-five minutes, I'll feel like a goddamn rock star; if I'm smart, I'll temper that a little bit so I'm not in tears if when I cross the finish line.
Anyway.
Why not?
I miss riding, I miss racing.
It might not be pretty, but I know I can do this and hopefully even have a little bit of fun along the way.
   
 

 

No comments: