Thursday, September 24, 2015

Serendipity

So, I ran this morning for the first time in 13 days...just 20 easy minutes in the woods; enough time to scare a baby snake (everyone knows I love critter spotting!) & appreciate the perfect weather. I stopped at the bench near the lot to stretch a little. I always think of my mom every time I pass that bench because its where a very kind woman left my mom's lost car keys during the NorBeaster of 2010. While snowshoeing at Harmony Hill (just me & Mare), my mom lost her keys and we didn't realize til we had made it back to the car. We had covered A LOT of ground, as my mom was quite the snowshoe enthusiast (it's how she coped with her disdain for winter). So, there we were frantically retracing our steps (in knee deep snow), making our way BACK to the woods when a lone cross country skier (perhaps sensing our demise) approached us on the trail & said, "if you happen to be looking for a set of keys, I placed them on the bench near the lot." We profusely thanked her and my mom called her our guardian angel...
I see that woman almost every time I'm at harmony hill. She favors the paved path, but I often pass her on bike or foot on my way to the woods. I remember her so clearly not only because she saved us from our "situation", but also because in a weird way she sorta resembles my grandmom Erma (if Erma had been the outdoorsy type), she's got to be at least 75-80 years old.
Anyway, as I'm stretching at that bench today, Mare's "guardian angel" is walking to her car, parked next to mine. I introduce myself & say, "may I ask your name?"
She's Pat.
Now I know her name & now I can give her a proper greeting when we pass each other on the path.
She remembers the key incident. She told me she walks EVERY day (and xc skies in the winter). Last year, she felt funny while taking her walk there and turns out she had a triple coronary.
Jesus.
She looks healthy & agreed we are so fortunate to have such a beautiful place near us to enjoy nature. She called Harmony Hill a "friendly trail."
As we parted ways, she said, "I'll say a little prayer for your mom."
Sweetest little exchange I've had in a long time & it made my day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Still an angel apparently. I wish my mom was more active. Her genetic make-up (based on the age of her aunts and uncles) would likely allow her to live to be 95 if she only took better care of herself and ate properly. Instead, she is slowly dying at 77. Which is killing all of us.