Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Homesick

Sometimes.
Sometimes the kids destroy me & I long for a minute. A pause.
"Just...give me a minute. Please."
Sometimes my little girl says,
"You be the little girl. I'll be the mommy."
"Okay," I say.
"I'll play with you after I drink my tea. Just give me a minute."
Sometimes it's long after they've gone to sleep.
And my husband is asleep.
And I should be asleep.
And I'm reading my book.
And my son comes into the room, awake from a bad dream or my daughter cries out for who knows what or why...
And sometimes I am exasperated.
But, tonight I'm not.
Tonight my son has hives for no apparent reason and my daughter woke up crying because she was thirsty.
I'm into my book and I'm so so tired.
But, exasperated is not how I feel.
Instead I am equal parts homesick & grateful. 

No comments: