Sunday, October 16, 2016

On coincidence, serendipity, running, and reading

Weird chain of events today...follow me, if you will, while I tick through them:
  • Discovered my nook was dead this morning (it belonged to my mom & I have been reading books on it for the past two years)
  • While showering after a four mile run, I thought about books. What book I should read next. Thought about revisiting one of my mom's favorites (one of mine, too, actually), John Irving's The World According to Garp. I read it as a teenager and wondered what my take on it would be now, a seemingly lifetime later.
  • Upon collapsing into bed very early this evening (8:28pm early), gave my nook one more try. Nope. Dead. Decided to finally pick up the copy of Born to Run by Christopher McDougall purchased roughly a year ago (recommended by my brother of all people; not a runner, but an avid incarcerated reader).
  • Eleven pages in, the author references Garp. Motherfucking Garp. How about that??
Serendipity, at its finest (or something, right?)...
 

1 comment:

Hi, I'm Marc said...

that's cool.
bummer about the nook...
love to hear your thoughts on born to run when you get finished it!

cheers.

respect
marc