Sunday, October 23, 2016

The Taper is Real/Personal Shit

Against my psych's wishes, I'm tapering off one of my meds (Zoloft, if you are nosy like me & have to know).
I can get into the hows & whys in another post (and probably should, for my own sake; writing helps, sharing helps). In short, I'm happy about the decision, but the process is a little rough.
Next.
Running/racing...
I've been doing that a lot. 
Yesterday, I bundled up & headed out for a local trail 5k with my dad.
Had he not generously pre-reg'd me, I would've bailed. I wasn't feeling great and wasn't into it. Usually I am all about muddy, windy, wet conditions, but yesterday?  Not so much.
With twenty minutes to go until the start, I downed two advil & sulked in the car forgoing my usual warm-up. My head was pounding & I was debating pulling the plug.
After a quick phone call to my husband, I decided to line up & see how I felt. I had no qualms about bagging it if that's how it was going to play out.
(Needless to say, I started and finished)
With .5 mile to go, I finally caught up to my dad & hung on behind him (shielding myself from the brutal wind). As we approached the finish, I pleaded, "dad, please don't sprint me."
To which he replied, "nah, we'll finish together."
(And we did)
The race wasn't awesome...I never quite found my rhythm or shook my headache.
But, I crossed the line with BP & honestly, that was the silver lining/best part of an otherwise very bleak week.
Last night, I got a text from him saying I ended up 3rd in my age group (and beat him by a second).
Just another day of literally & metaphorically putting one foot in front of the other, even when the easy thing to do would be staying in & putting those feet up.

Peace out, homies...happy Sunday!
(My apologies for not editing/revising this post; I'm sure the five people who read this will understand)
 

No comments: